Friday, June 3, 2011

The Teething Blues

First off, let me start with a question:  Why do children just inherently know to not like vegetables?!  When we started Madison on baby food, she had no problem eating her vegetable serving every day.   During the transition form baby food to solid food, she started hating vegetables in both forms.  Today I was feeding her some mac and cheese with vegetables hidden in there (this is the only way she eats veggies-when they're hidden in her favorite foods) and the few times she tasted the green bean or carrot, she would just spit out all the contents of her mouth onto the high chair tray; an annoying habit she has just started this week with foods she doesn't like.  Madison then proceeded to find the vegetable, put it back in the bowl that I was feeding her from and started picking up and eating all the noodles she has previously spit out.  I have to say though, it was kinda funny how she put the piece of vegetable back in the bowl like, "Here mom, I really don't need to eat this one."  So, I'm going to throw out this question to everyone with kids: What are some yummy ways to incorporate vegetables into other food because I'm starting to run out of ideas?

In other Madison news, she is working on cutting her "eye" or "canine" teeth.  What I thought were just wives tales about those being the toughest to break (minus the molars) turned out to be completely true.  My wonderful child that slept through the night since she was about 2 months old now wakes up at least 2 times (on a good night) crying because of teeth pain.  This has been going on for a few weeks now.  The worst part though is that my happy, playful little girl has turned into a whiny, screaming, clingy baby.  I can't say that I blame her.  I can see she's in a ton of pain while she's gnawing on everything she can get her hands on including her own fingers!  We've been keeping some of the pain under control by giving her some baby Motrin, ora-jel, and those teething tablets.  I just got some advice from a friend to use Baby's Bliss Gripe Water.  I've never heard of it, but it's all natural.  So as soon as my little Buffalo is up from her nap we'll be taking a trip to the store to pick some up.  The good thing is, the teething hasn't put a damper on her walking.  Now that she has a little confidence in herself, she's been attempting to walk so much more.  Each day she can go a few steps farther in one go.

For the weekend, I really hope to take Madison downtown to the Wagon Train event.  I haven't gone in years, but I remember it was fun.  They shut down Main St and have all sorts of stuff going on down there.  As of right now though, it doesn't look like the weather is going to cooperate with us.  I think the forecast is for rain ALL weekend!!  So, backup plans are to go down to Lowe's and pick out vegetables to plant in our garden.  Kyle tilled it all up this week (we've waited so long since it's been so cold) and it is ready to go. We even have a lot of strawberries from last year popping up.  This is only our 2nd year tending a vegetable garden, but it was great last year.  We got lots of tomatoes, peppers, etc so this year, we're trying a few new things like garlic, onions, and potatoes.  I'm crossing my fingers and we'll see how it goes.

Thanks for reading and have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment